Wednesday 10 February 2016

Teddies for Refugees - an Update!

Hi everyone! 

My Teddies for Refugees project is going really well - I've sold 20 teddies, with $10 each going to support the world of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre here in Australia. Plus, a local tennis group have chosen the Resource Centre for a charitable donation from hearing about my project! 

I wanted to share with you a special story today :) 


My cousin is a church minister in Western Sydney, an area which has a high number of people who have come to Australia as immigrants or refugees, and who do not have English as their first language. One particular family that he is working with are refugees from Syria. When I was talking with them over Christmas, my cousin asked if I could make a pair of teddies to give to the family - one in Aussie green and gold, and the other in the colours of the Syrian flag! 


The Aussie one reminds me so much of a soccer player! I had fun looking up the Syrian flag, and figuring out how to get the stars on the white middle of the flag.


I used Anne's Cross Your Heart Teddy pattern (which is free!) and the Teeny Tiny Stars pattern by Lucy at Attic24 for the stars. The yarn is Stylecraft Special DK, except the stars which are Red Heart Margareta.


Making these teddies, and special requests like these buddies has been so much fun, as well as raising money to help refugees!

If you're in Australia and want to buy a teddy and support refugees, visit the shop at https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TeddiesforRefugees

4 comments :

  1. These are a fabulous pair of teddies. Wonderful fundraising work you have done and are doing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using the colours of the flags, and we all get a geography lesson about the Syrian flag too ;-) I do hope that family will have a good life in Australia. It is very hard to be torn between countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they've landed in a good support network - I can't imagine having to leave my home and my extended family to live on the other side of the world!

      Delete