Wednesday 22 March 2017

The Sydney Royal Arts & Crafts Competition - Bring It On!

Hi everyone! 

Apologies again for the blog silence over the last few weeks - Anne and Alex have been visiting me here in Australia (!!) and I've also been super busy with Days for Girls, work and... preparing my items for the Sydney Royal Arts and Crafts Competition! Anne will be posting soon about their Australian adventures with Captain Poprocks, but today is all about my Easter Show entries :D 

All 6 entries are now finished, and with days to spare (I know, what is wrong with me...), and I'm so excited to share them with you! 

1. Stole or Shawl, 4 ply or thicker - Mine Once More

I made this beautiful shawl/scarf last year for my mother - fortunately she has not worn it yet, so I can enter it in the Show! The yarn is Wolltraum My Melodyy in colourway Atemlos, and the pattern is by the ever amazing Michelle duNaier http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mine-once-more. Here it is modelled by my beautiful sister-friend Jess <3 



2. Stole or Shawl, finer than 4 ply - the Raspberry Borealis Shawl

Using Fyberspates Gleem Lace in Mixed Magentas and the Borealis Shawl pattern by Cal Patch (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/borealis-shawl), it worked up beautifully! Much blocking was required to get the lace to actually show up - but I'm so happy with the interesting geometry of this shawl. Modelled here by Anne (!!) when we went up to the lake house a few weeks ago <3




3. Pram or Cot Cover or Bunny Rug, unlined - the Rainbow Cloud Baby Wrap

You probably recognise this pattern - it's the Virus Blanket! Worked in Wolltraum My Melodyy in colourway Mamma Mia, it almost looks like the colour changes are deliberate. Crocheting this pattern was like meditating; I can't wait to make another :D




4. Travel, Knee or Afghan Rug, wool or wool blend - the Lotus Moon Tiles Afghan

You heard all about this one a few weeks ago (http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/ta-dah-lotus-moon-tiles-afghan.html) - I'm so happy with how it came out, but still hoping someone buys it at the show...



5. Adult Crocheted Accessories - Dragon Scale Boots

I LOVE Bonita Designs' gorgeous Crocodile Stitch Booties, and have made many pairs now in all sorts of sizes! These ones are ladies size 7-8, and I used Stylecraft Special DK in Turquoise for hardy soles, and Moda Vera Fayette in Frenzy for the rest. They are so comfortable - maybe I should hope that they don't get sold at the show? Getting the colour changes to be roughly the same on each boot was an interesting challenge for sure!




6. Creative Crochet - Fiesta! 

As soon as I came up with this idea, I knew it had to be my Creative Crochet entry for the show. It's all Stylecraft Special DK, in Black, Turquoise, Empire, Grass Green, Fuchsia Purple, Spice and Citron, lined with charcoal Vilene, and with snaps to finish! It doesn't sit quite straight or flat because of the freeform slipstitching, but hopefully it's good enough. The bag is the perfect size for one Hobbit ;)





So, wish me luck! I'll find out the results on Tuesday 4 April, and will definitely let you know! :D 

4 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness your crochet projects are just amazing! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have so many entries. How many entries are you allowed at Sydney's Royal Easter Show? Are there limits per category or per entrant?

    I was planning to enter into a local show this year, having been invited by someone last year but it has been so busy, I didn't get around to looking into it until Friday only to discover that the entries had closed a fortnight prior and the show was the following weekend! Ooops!
    I hope the same doesn't happen (life interfering) when it comes time to enter other shows later this year.

    Entering show competitions is all new to me. With your Lotus Moon Tiles Afghan, who sets the sale price? Is it your asking price or does the show have guidelines to which you adhere?

    I hope you get the results you are after. I've said it before and reiterate: good luck at the show Michelle! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie! I'll find out next Tuesday!!

      I don't think there's a limit on entries, but you're only allowed to enter one item in each category. I get to set the sale price if I want to sell an item, which includes a 30% commission to the RAS; as far as I know there are no guidelines. I've put all my items up for sale except the Mine Once More shawlette which will go back to my mother after the show :)

      I hope life can keep itself occupied for long enough for you to enter something later in the year!!

      Delete